Programs / Activities
Our school wide behavior plan here at Covington Elementary is called The Fish Philosophy. The goal of our program is to set clear expectations that will support our students as they learn to make appropriate choices in a variety of settings which will promote a positive and supportive learning environment for all students. There are four components to The Fish Philosophy that guide our school behavioral expectations. We ask for your cooperation in helping us to help all students accept responsibility for their actions and develop self-discipline by discussing these four expectations:
Have Fun Learning
Work made fun gets done, especially when we choose to do serious tasks in a lighthearted spontaneous way. Play is not just an activity, it's a state of mind that brings new energy to the tasks at hand and sparks creative solutions.
Make Their Day
When you “make someone's day” (or moment) through a small kindness or unforgettable engagement, you turn even routine encounters into special memories. The world becomes a better place the moment you act on an intention to serve another.
The glue in our humanity is in being fully present for one another. Being there also is a great way to practice wholeheartedness and fight burnout, for it is those halfhearted tasks you perform while juggling other things that wear you out. You can multi-task with “stuff,” but you need to “be there” for people.
Choose Your Attitude
When you look for the worst you will find it everywhere. When you learn you have the power to choose your response to what life brings, you can look for the best and find opportunities you never imagined possible. If you find yourself with an attitude that is not what you want it to be, you can choose a new one. The attitude you have right now is the one you are choosing. Is it the one you want?
- Fishing Tickets – Students can receive a “Caught Ya” Fishing Slip when “caught” following the expectations. These slips can be given by any employee.
- PBIS Privilege Days – Students that have zero minor or major discipline referrals will be invited to a special privilege each month.
- Classroom Rewards – Each teacher has their own individual classroom reward program.
- Terrific Kids Breakfast – Each month one student from each classroom that has been “fishing” is honored at the Terrific Kids breakfast. Parents are invited to attend.
- Fun Freaky Friday – Each Friday afternoon, 1 student from each classroom will be invited to attend a Fun Freaky Friday party with the Principal and Assistant Principal.
- “Fish”tastic Staff Member of the Week – Teachers are recognized for “fishing” by administration and/or other faculty/staff members. The chosen teacher will be given a treat bag and recognized during morning announcements each day.
- Specific Verbal Feedback – When employees see student(s) following school wide expectations, they acknowledge the student(s) by giving specific positive verbal feedback.
- Bucket Fillers – Students and staff members can recognize other students or staff members who have filled their bucket and made them feel good about themselves.
The CES Chorus is open to 2nd & 3rd graders who enjoy singing in a group with others, and who have an interest in learning how to sing better. In chorus you can expect to have lots of fun, make new friends, express yourself creatively, be part of a supportive team & family, develop skills for the future, and use your gifts to perform for our school and community!